We?ll discuss the between these two installation methods - floating floor vs glue down flooring, their respective benefits and considerations, that will help you make an informed choice when selecting the perfect flooring option for your home or business.
Table of Contents:
- Floating floor vs glue down flooring: what?s the difference in installation methods?
- Glue Down LVP & LVT Flooring
- Floating LVP & LVT Flooring
- Choosing between glue down and floating installation methods
Floating floor vs glue down flooring: what?s the difference in installation methods?
Glue down vinyl flooring installation?Glue down installation involves applying adhesive directly to the subfloor and then affixing each plank or tile to it. This method provides a permanent bond and is suitable for a variety of subfloors, including concrete and plywood.?
Benefits of Glue Down Vinyl Flooring:
- Stability and Durability: Glue down installation provides excellent stability, ensuring that the vinyl flooring stays securely in place. It minimizes movement and eliminates the risk of shifting or buckling. This method is particularly suitable for high-traffic areas or spaces prone to moisture exposure.
- Enhanced Sound Absorption: The adhesive layer helps reduce noise transmission, creating a quieter environment. This makes glue down vinyl flooring a favorable choice for residential and commercial spaces, especially in multi-story buildings or rooms where noise reduction is desired.
- Easy Maintenance: Glue down vinyl flooring is easy to clean and maintain. Its smooth, non-porous surface resists stains and spills, making it suitable for areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Regular sweeping and occasional mopping are typically all that's needed to keep the floor looking pristine.
- Seamless Appearance: With glue down installation, the vinyl flooring creates a seamless and cohesive look. There are no visible gaps or transitions, resulting in a visually appealing and professional finish.
- Longevity: When installed correctly, glue down vinyl flooring offers long-lasting performance. Its durability and resistance to wear and tear make it an investment that will withstand the test of time.
Floating LVP & LVT flooringFloating floor installation, on the other hand, involves interlocking the planks or tiles together without using adhesive. Instead, they rest on top of an underlayment or existing flooring.?
Benefits of Floating Luxury Vinyl Flooring
- Easy Installation: Floating luxury vinyl flooring is designed for DIY enthusiasts and professionals alike. The click-and-lock mechanism simplifies the installation process, making it a feasible option for those with basic DIY skills.
- Versatility: Floating luxury vinyl flooring can be installed on various existing surfaces, including concrete, plywood, and existing flooring like tile or hardwood. Its versatility allows for quick and hassle-free installation, without the need for extensive subfloor preparation.
- Durability:Luxury vinyl flooring is known for its exceptional durability and resistance to scratches, stains, and moisture. The floating installation method provides stability and flexibility, allowing the flooring to withstand foot traffic and potential subfloor movement.
- Easy Maintenance: Floating luxury vinyl flooring requires minimal maintenance. Regular sweeping, occasional damp mopping, and prompt cleanup of spills are typically all that is needed to keep the floor looking its best.
- Comfort and Sound Insulation: The underlayment used in floating installations provides cushioning underfoot, enhancing comfort and reducing noise transmission. This makes it an excellent choice for areas where sound reduction is desired, such as living rooms, bedrooms, or home offices.
- Quick Replacement: One of the significant advantages of floating luxury vinyl flooring is its ease of replacement. Should a plank or tile become damaged or worn, it can be easily removed and replaced without disturbing the surrounding flooring.
Choosing between glue down and floating installation methodsWhen deciding between glue down and floating installation, several factors should be taken into account. We will discuss the following considerations to help you make an informed choice:
Subfloor Condition: The condition of your subfloor can influence the installation method. Glue down is more suitable for uneven or problematic subfloors, as it provides stability and minimizes movement. Floating installation works well on flat and smooth subfloors.
Durability and Stability: Glue down installation offers excellent durability and stability due to the direct bond between the flooring and subfloor. Floating installation, on the other hand, allows for some flexibility and can be more forgiving in areas where slight movement or expansion may occur.
Installation Time and Convenience: Glue down installation typically requires more time and expertise due to the adhesive application and curing process. Floating installation, on the other hand, is generally quicker and more accessible for DIY projects.
Purchase luxury vinyl flooring from Flooring of Springfield Inc.Both glue down and floating installation methods offer their own advantages and considerations when it comes to luxury vinyl flooring. The choice ultimately depends on factors such as subfloor condition, desired stability, and installation convenience.?
At Flooring of Springfield Inc. in Springfield, IL, we offer a wide selection of luxury vinyl flooring options, whether you opt for glue down or floating installation. Visit our showroom to explore the range of styles and find the perfect flooring that suits your needs and preferences.